jueves, 21 de julio de 2011

A Letter from Kazimir Malevich



I remember that cold and snowy winter in Petrograd in 1915 as if it were yesterday. Everything was in motion. It was a time of great hopes, enthusiasm, optimism, Futurism and, of course, Revolution. You could even smell it in the cold Russian air.
The end of the great century… the new age… huge and cold building at Marsovo Pole (Champ de mars) no. 7… The Last Futurist Exhibition 0,10 … no heating … Puni running around always asking for nails… Kliun quite nervous, like a bridegroom before the wedding. I must admit I didn’t have any pervious plan for my, as you now say, “installation.” It was purely accidental. I only knew that the Black Square must be in the top corner. Everything else was irrelevant. While I was hanging my small Suprematist paintings here and there, it didn’t occur to me that the photo of this installation would become so famous and be published in hundreds of books, reviews. And today, one of my colleagues has even “quoted” it in his work! I don’t remember now who actually took this picture, but it is just a photo, black and white. No colors! I have an impression that this photo is becoming even more important than my Suprematist paintings! This was the major reason I kept on thinking for years to do the same exhibition again.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario